Don’t Let GERD Get You Down
Thank you for participating in eTalk Series webinar “Don't Let GERD Get You Down.” The eTalk Series discussed Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) with a Gastroenterology Specialist from the prestigious Raffles Hospital Singapore, Dr. Aaron Woo.
Through this eTalk Series we may learn information as follows:
- Common symptoms of GERD are pain or heartburn, a sour taste in the mouth, excess saliva, and difficulty swallowing. Other symptoms are chest pain, cough, and sore throat.
- There are many symptoms of GERD that resemble the symptoms of other diseases. About 30% of people with GERD are often misdiagnosed with other diseases, such as heart disease and digestive problems among others.
- If not treated properly, about 50% of people with GERD will suffer from esophagitis that causes pain in the esophagus or the organ that funnels food from mouth to stomach. If left alone, it can become Esophageal adenocarcinoma (Esophageal cancer).
- Prevention can be done by managing body weight, especially for GERD patients with excess body weight, maintaining higher position for the head in sleeping position, eating dinner at least 4-6 hours before bedtime, and paying attention to sensitivity to certain foods. People react differently to coffee, spicy or sour foods, but generally oily foods tend to stimulate stomach acid.
- The general GERD treatment is Proton Pump Inhibitors (PPI): the "prazoles"; Potassium-competitive acid blocker (PCAB); Histamine-2 Receptor Antagonists (H2RA); Antacids or Prokinetics
More wellness, less worry. Living healthy and GERD-free.
Bank DBS Indonesia with Manulife Indonesia offers comprehensive protection through MiTreasure Optimax Protection and MiTreasure Optimax Care with an annual benefit limit of up to IDR 50 billion.
For more information, contact your Relationship Manager